Online Belt Exams
This page includes directions pertaining to online exams.
Online or offline, the purpose of exams is the same: To demonstrate and celebrate the progress that students make as a result of their hard work and dedication. Online exams are a little different, but one thing that never changes is the amazing strength, control, endurance, and spirit that our students possess.
So how does this work?
STEP 1: CHECK YOUR ELIGIBILITY
Check your email for the eligibility list. Eligibility is determined by instructors, who consider consistency and frequency of attendance, effort, performance, attitude, and ability perform exam requirements.
STEP 2: REGISTER FOR THE EXAM
Students must register by one week before the exam. The fee is $35 for white-purple belts, or $50 for brown belts.
STEP 3: CHECK YOUR LOG-IN TIME
If you register for the exam, you will be placed into a testing group. Each group will have its own log-in time for the exam. When you log-in, you will automatically be placed into a “waiting room” until all examinees are present and the judges are ready for you.
STEP 4: PREPARE FOR THE EXAM REQUIREMENTS
To prepare your karate, we suggest that you:
- Train at least twice a week at the Online Dojo
- Familiarize yourself with our new online testing requirements, modified to optimize for tight spaces!
STEP 5: PREPARE YOUR TESTING SPACE
To prepare your testing environment, we ask that you try to ensure the following is ready before testing day:
- Space to move at least 2 steps forward/back
- Camera set-up that allows instructors to see the student’s whole body (note: it’s ok if we see a side view instead of a forward-facing view!)
- Good lighting – usually lights on and shades closed is best
- Sound on without any distracting background noise (dogs, TVs, etc.)
- Name displayed with the student’s name and current rank
- Internet speed of at least 3.0 Mbps (do a simple speed test to find out)
- Most recent version of Zoom
STEP 6: TAKE THE EXAM
Each exam will only take 15-20 minutes. Here are some pointers for testing day:
- Dress appropriately. On testing day, you must wear your gi and belt. Just like at the dojo, please don’t wear any jewelry, watches. We recommend keeping long hair out of your face, too.
- Arrive early. We suggest you log in a few minutes early to avoid any last-minute technical issues. You will be placed in a “waiting room” while we complete the exam ahead of you.
- Invite guests! Parents, grandparents, and friends can still come and watch this milestone! However, we are asking that they register in advance. Everyone will be placed in the “waiting room” upon arrival, and only expected guests will be allowed in. Guests will be muted, and we’ll ask that they turn off their video.
STEP 7: CELEBRATE YOUR NEXT RANK
Yes, you will get a certificate and new belt! We will send additional details after the exam.
IN CASE OF TECHNICAL FAILURE: MAKE-UP EXAMS
We have all experienced technology issues that seem mysterious and out of our control — believe us, we understand! So, if for some reason something goes wrong on testing day, we will schedule a make-up exam at no extra fee. We do suggest you do a speed test to make sure your internet speed is at least 3.0 Mbps.
QUESTIONS? CONCERNS? SUGGESTIONS?
This is a new experience for all of us. As always, we welcome and appreciate your feedback! Feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com.